Join our medical elective programme
The personal touch
Let Act4Africa organise your placement and we’ll ensure you get the best out of your time in Africa. Whether you are a medical student looking for a challenging, yet rewarding medical elective, a student nurse or midwife or a health professional on a career break or retired, we can design a placement to suit your level.
We guarantee a clinical placement organised by professional staff in Africa. If you choose to do your placement in Jinja, there are also opportunities for community work at our health and education centre in rural Mayuge. Find out more about Kathy’s Centre .
The health sector in Uganda, is challenged by a number of factors that present significant obstacles to health service delivery, including: critical shortages and unbalanced distribution of qualified health workers at all levels of the public health system; shortages and irregular supply of essential drugs and medical supplies.
Placements are arranged to suit your medical interests and specialisms. As an experienced deliverer of health education in Africa over many years, Act4Africa is uniquely placed to understand your requirements and deliver an authentic experience that Western culture cannot provide.
We are a not-for-profit charity, so book with us and make a real impact on people’s lives in some of the poorest areas of Africa.
All start dates and duration are by personal arrangement and negotiable to suit your own medical speciality.
Where can I go?
You have the choice of location in either Jinja resting on the shores of Lake Victoria, or Kasese in western Uganda – the heart of untamed rural Africa. See our hospitals.
How much does it cost?
AS WE ARE A UK REGISTERED CHARITY YOU CAN FUNDRAISE TO COVER YOUR ELECTIVE
The 2020 fundraising target for up to FOUR weeks is
Uganda: £1375 for 4 weeks (additional weeks @£230/week)
Our costs include full orientation briefing, all in country support, hospital fees, accommodation, two meals per day and airport pickups/drop-offs. Please note you are responsible for arranging for your own airfare, insurance, visas and any jabs but we will be pleased to give advice.
Why choose Act4Africa?
- FLEXIBILITY – Logistical arrangements are tailor-made and start dates are up to you.
- SUPPORT – Our local Ugandan staff will support you throughout your placement and introduce you to your clinical supervisor at the hospital.
- PEACE OF MIND – Full orientation and expert advice from our UK team before you go.
- TRACK RECORD – A registered NGO in Uganda operational since 2001, Act4Africa has considerable experience in the country’s low resource healthcare system. Our staff have been arranging medical placements in Africa for over 10 years.
- LEISURE & TRAVEL – Famous as the historic source of the River Nile, Jinja is now the adrenaline capital of East Africa. Get your fix of white-water rafting, kayaking, quad biking, mountain biking and horse riding in a gorgeous natural setting with crumbling colonial architecture. Further afield are opportunities for safari or to visit the famous mountain gorillas.
- NON-PROFIT MAKING – As we are a registered UK charity you can fundraise to cover the cost of your placement. We guarantee that the money you raise, over and above expenses, goes back into the local community.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Download and complete our medical elective application form. Please return this form to email@example.com.
- Pay your non-refundable application fee of £45 online here.
- Make sure to read through our Booking Conditions.
“I feel privileged to have been given this wonderful experience. I learnt a lot about medicine, local culture and myself: lessons which will stay with me forever.” Caitlyn, nursing student at the University of Glasgow.