Every penny counts. Your generous gifts can change the lives of so many. We are working towards various goals to improve health, livelihood and education of the youth and women of Africa. We want to enable young girls to challenge the subordinate role of women in their communities, and aspire to higher paid jobs, leadership positions and sexual equality. We aim to increase sustainable development and reduce poverty through tackling these gender equality issues. Some monthly donation suggestions to help Act4Africa achieve this goal include:
- £10 …will help to put a young person through a life-skills programme helping them achieve their full potential
- £25… will pay the school fees to keep a promising teenage girl in school via our Grow A Girl Programme.
- £30… will support one young woman’s membership of a local enterprise group for a year. Set up as part of Act4Africa’s HEAL initiative (Health, Empowerment and Livelihoods), group membership provides improved life-chances and livelihoods for out-of-school adolescent girls and young women.
- £75… will help girls stand up against gender inequality and violence. £75 will train one of our teenage Peer Educators in sexual and reproductive health rights. Peer Educators learn the skills to deliver the training they have received to other girls in their schools and communities, so they may act as ‘change agents’ to mobilise whole communities.
- £115… will buy a goat for our goat breeding programme, providing access to sustainable income to women and girls on our HEAL (Health, Empowerment and Livelihoods) programme.
- £250… will train and fund the monthly salary of a kindergarten teacher, health educator or field officer.
- £500 …will cover children’s travel costs to and from kindergarten for one term. Many children live a mile or more from Kathy’s Centre. Your donation means they would not have to walk along a busy road or risk using the motorbike taxis that are common in Uganda. It will also improve attendance levels and ultimately the educational and developmental progress of the children.
Furthermore, we want to ensure that young children in rural African communities are given access to a first-class early year’s education. Our Kathy’s Kindergarten based within Kathy’s Centre, opened in February 2018, currently offers this to 45 children aged 3-6, living in Mayuge. We want to provide these children and many more with a strong foundation for future learning, encouraging them to stay in education longer. We hope that this will improve economic prospects and allow these children to produce a more stable, secure and sustainable future for their communities. We hope that tackling these gender, health and education issues in the youth of today will allow them to teach and encourage their own children, meaning the benefits of your support and our work will extend to future generations and improve poverty rates. Kathy’s Centre commemorates the life of our late co-founder, Kathy Smedley, providing vital health and support services, pre-school education, a youth club and agricultural, enterprise and financial literacy training to one of Africa’s poorest communities. All things important Kathy under one roof.
Here are some examples of how your monthly donations and support towards Kathy’s Centre will help:
- £10.. will pay for a nutritional daily breakfast for 20 children at Kathy’s Kindergarten.
- £15… will provide uniform and PE kit to a child in Kathy’s Kindergarten.
- £25… will pay the school fees of one vulnerable and disadvantaged 3-6-year-old
- £50… will help to provide regular health check-ups, vitamins and vaccinations to our kindergarten children at Kathy’s Centre
- £100… will provide storybooks as well as other creative and educational resources to Kathy’s Kindergarten, encouraging learning and allowing Kathy’s Centre to take one step towards self-sustainability.
- £250… will train and fund the monthly salary of an early year’s teacher for Kathy’s Kindergarten.
- £350… will pay for a HIV/STI clinic at Kathy’s Centre , where 100 people will receive testing, counselling and any necessary referrals. Kathy’s Centre is based in an area with one of the highest rates of HIV prevalence in Uganda (1 in 10). These sessions will, quite literally, save lives.
Donate securely now through Virgin Money Giving. You can give either a one-off amount, or arrange a monthly payment.
There are a whole host of ways you can get involved, to be part of the solution, from an African expedition through to donating your old mobile phone including:
- Take a place in one of our sponsored events which in the past have helped to generate incredible funds for Act4Africa. Visit our Fundraising page for more information of how you can participate in 2019.
- If you’re an online shopper, you can sign up for Give As You Live that sees you donate without you having to spend a penny more! You can raise free funds for Act4Africa through your everyday shopping at over 4,000 stores.
- If you regularly use Amazon, visit Amazon Smile today. This site will prompt you to select a charity to donate (for free) to on your usual Amazon account. Search Act4Africa, click select this charity and then complete an order as usual. It’s that easy and a percentage of your spends will be donated to us.
For more information on all the ways you can donate, contact us. Our sincere thanks for your support.